Geographical filing is a method in which files are grouped according to the geographical location of firm, organization or person. Under this method, name of places are written in file and are arranged in drawer either in alphabetical or numerical order – whichever is suitable for the organization. It is used in multi-national companies or those organization whose business and branches are located in various states or more than one countries around the world.
- It is easy to understand and use
- It can be arranged in alphabetical and numerical order.
- Initial setup is time-consuming
- It is more expensive to maintain.
- Files can be easily misplaced if precise attention is not given to geography for names with multiple geographical regions.